If you have a Gmail address, you already have a Google Account, so you won’t need to create an account—you can simply sign in to Drive using your Gmail information.
To create a Google account:
- Go to www.google.com. Locate and select the Sign in button in the top-right corner of the page.
- Click Create an account.
- The sign-up form will appear. Follow the directions and enter the required information, such as your name, birth date, and gender.
- The Create your profile page will appear. Click Add a photo if you want to add a photo to your Google+ profile. If you don’t want to set a profile photo at this time, click Next step.
- Your account will be created, and the Google welcome page will appear.
Just like with any online service, it’s important to choose a strong password—in other words, one that’s difficult for someone to guess. For more information, check out our Password Tips lesson.
Accessing Google Drive
Once you’ve set up your Google account, you can access Google Drive by going to http://drive.google.com in your web browser.
You can also navigate to Google Drive from any Google page (such as Gmail or Google search) by selecting the grid iconnear the top-right corner, then clicking Drive.
The Google Drive interface
Your Google Drive may be empty right now, but as you begin to upload and create files you’ll need to know how to view,manage, and organize them in the interface.
Click the buttons in the interactive below to become familiar with the Google Drive interface.
Google Drive for mobile devices
Google recently introduced separate mobile apps for creating and editing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. To learn more, check out Google’s blog post on New mobile apps for Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Google Drive for desktop
If you prefer to work on the desktop, you can download the Google Drive desktop app to your computer. Available for Windows and OS X, this app makes it a bit easier to upload your existing files and work offline. Once it’s installed, you’ll see a new Google Drive folder on your computer. Any files you move into this folder will automatically be uploaded to your Google Drive.
- Visit www.google.com to sign up for a Google account (if you don’t already have one).
- Open Google Drive and explore the interface.